Permanent Representation to the WTO The status of permanent representation/delegation to the WTO and its agents is determined by the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations of 18 April 1961, which is applied accordingly, as well as by the relevant sections of the Headquarters Agreement between the Federal Council and the WTO. A WTO member can, if he wishes, create his own mission/delegation to the WTO, with the agreement of the WTO, without necessarily opening a permanent mission/delegation to the COMMERCE ORGANISATION. Geneva is ideally located at the gate of the Alps and at the western end of Lake Geneva (Lake Geneva). This is where the United Nations European headquarters, the Red Cross headquarters and some 20 other international organizations are located. It is also home to the permanent missions of more than 160 countries representing their governments in the city`s international organizations. All WTO staff are headquartered at the WTO headquarters – the William Rappard Centre (CWR) – in Geneva, Switzerland. The CWR was designed as part of post-World War I efforts to create a society of nations and related institutions that would promote peaceful conflict resolution. It was established in 1923 and has been the home of the WTO and its predecessor, the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), since 1977. In 2008, the CWR was renovated and expanded, allowing all members of the WTO secretariat to be housed under the same banner. This included the construction of a new building next to the historic CWR. Geneva, Switzerland, home to the WTO, is a unique place with many UN and other international organizations, as well as missions to the WTO.
The William Rappard Centre (CWR) is the name of the building that has housed the WTO secretariat since the creation of the WTO in 1995. It is the venue for consultations, negotiations and other meetings among members, and includes facilities such as meeting rooms and offices, as well as other facilities such as the gymnasium, cafeteria and bank. In 1995, the centre became the headquarters of the World Trade Organization (WTO), which now owns the building. In 1998, a conference centre for Swiss architect Ugo Brunoni was built next to the street in Lausanne. In 2007, following research in ILO archives and WTO sites, several hidden works of art were rediscovered and abandoned to visitors.  After the creation of the WTO, the organization had no room for staff and delegates for their daily meetings. After considering several options, the Swiss authorities and the WTO agreed at the beginning of August 2008 on the renovation, extension and improvement of the William Rappard Centre. It was the best solution in terms of cost and efficiency.
In 2008, the Swiss Confederation authorized the renovation and expansion of the building. Work began in 2009 and added an annex with 300 new jobs (out of a total of 1,200 potential spaces throughout the building) and a 200-seat underground car park.  In addition, the original building has been completely renovated to create more workspace for staff, delegates and visitors. The work was carried out in three phases: 2008-2011, renovation of the general council space, modernization of infrastructure (electricity, plumbing, heating) and creation of new premises. 2010-2012 Condensation and increased interior capacity, including the atrium in the old north courtyard and large meeting rooms in the southern courtyard. 2011-2013: Construction of the new building between the old south car park and the park. The original location of the William Rappard Centre was part of an estate consisting of the Rappard and Bloch properties and containing two mansions. The original Villa Rappard was built in 1785 and renovated in 1894.Leave a reply